Gas leak that sparked Inuvik evacuation is fixed
A ruptured gas line in downtown Inuvik, which led to the evacuation of some buildings, has been repaired without further incident.
The Town of Inuvik said late on Friday afternoon repairs had been carried out successfully, and gas service to downtown businesses had resumed.
On Friday morning, RCMP and firefighters had evacuated several buildings after construction work led to the inadvertent rupturing of a gas line on Mackenzie Road.
No injuries were reported.
“As a precautionary measure, all buildings in the immediate area were safely evacuated and the road was closed,” stated Cynthia Hammond, the Town’s director of protective services.
Hammond said the gas distribution system to downtown was shut off and within an hour, the evacuated buildings had been cleared and monitored for gas levels. Occupants were soon allowed back in.