The National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls says registration for family members and survivors wishing to share their truths will close on April 20 this year.
Earlier this month the inquiry asked the Canadian government for a two-year extension, with chief commissioner Marion Buller arguing officials needed more time “to do justice to our critically important mandate.”
However, with the federal government yet to grant that request, the inquiry says families and survivors will need to register by April 20 for the chance to be heard at a scheduled community hearing and statement gathering.
To register, you should send your name, contact information and location to the inquiry using one of these methods:
- Phone: 1-844-348-4119
- Fax: 604-775-5009
- Mail: PO Box 500, Station A – Vancouver, BC, V6C 2N3
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More than 1,400 family members and survivors have registered for the opportunity to address the inquiry so far. Of those, the inquiry says approximately 880 have been heard at a community hearing and statement gathering.
The inquiry visited Yellowknife in January for several days of hearings featuring dozens of Indigenous, northern voices.
The inquiry’s work began in September, with an original plan to end this year – which may still come to pass if the federal government does not grant the requested extension.
“We commit to review the possibility of re-opening the registration process once the government has officially
responded to the National Inquiry’s extension request,” read a statement by inquiry organizers on Monday.