Parks Canada says four new lightning-caused wildfires are threatening parts of Wood Buffalo National Park, including two near a whooping crane nesting area.
Those fires, which are burning about 28 and 30 kilometres northeast of Highway 5, have been classified as “out of control.” The two other fires have been classified as “being held.”
The out-of-control fires were discovered by a GNWT helicopter on its way to Fort Smith then confirmed by Wood Buffalo fire crew members, a Friday afternoon news release from Parks Canada stated.
The larger of the two fires, which is about 270 hectares in size, is being actioned by two helicopters performing bucketing operations. The other fire, which is about 3.5 ha, is being actioned by fire crews, Parks Canada said.
A separate update from NWT Fire on Friday afternoon warned of high, very high and extreme wildfire danger in parts of the South Slave, Dehcho and North Slave regions expected until Sunday.
The wildfire agency warned of especially challenging wildfire behaviour near Fort Liard and across the South Slave region brought by gusty winds and dry air.
“With natural starts possible, firefighters need your help to keep human-caused fire off the landscape,” the release noted.
“Be responsible and remember the rule: soak, stir, soak. Ensure your campfire is entirely out before you leave. Even a single spark could start a wildfire.”
There is one active fire burning in the NWT near Fort Providence. It was the first fire reported this season, and was a holdover fire from last year.





