Our commitment to ethical journalism
Cabin Radio is committed to high-quality journalism with integrity.
Our reporters work to our code of conduct, which requires the following:
- We prioritize accuracy and fairness in our work.
- We publish breaking news. As such, breaking news stories may contain important and relevant information but not necessarily portray all angles or voices related to a story. In that instance, we have an obligation to flesh out and report important alternative viewpoints as soon as is practicable.
- We do not misquote, or quote out of context, anyone who speaks to us. We make clear when our conversations are off-record or not for attribution. We do not treat anyone unfairly or misleadingly in the interest of a better story.
- We avoid conflicts of interest in our reporting where possible but, if conflicts are unavoidable, make them clear on this website.
- Where corrections and clarifications are necessary, we clearly apply them with a time stamp to our story, outlining not only the correct information but the incorrect reporting which preceded it, and why the error occurred.
If you have a concern about a Cabin Radio news article, we would like to hear from you. Follow this link for more information.
Register of interests
Our reporters work in small communities and do not work full-time for Cabin Radio. We believe conflicts of interest while reporting in the Northwest Territories are inevitable – to guard against their undue influence on our journalism, we register all interests within the NWT clearly on this page so our relationships with other parties are transparent.
If one of our reporters has a conflict of interest, where possible we assign reporting to another journalist.
Has represented the following in a volunteer capacity:
- Arctic Winter Games
- Hamlet of Fort Liard
- NWT Disabilities Council
- NWT Soccer
Has received payment for work from, benefited financially from, or holds a financial interest in:
- Air Tindi
- CBC North
- City of Yellowknife
- Cross Country NWT (present contract)
- Diavik Diamond Mines Inc
- Elections NWT
- Gold Terra
- Government of Canada
- Government of the Northwest Territories, including:
– NWT Nominee Program marketing
– Department of Lands recreational land management planning
- Independent Environmental Monitoring Agency
- Kellett Communications
- Liidlii Kue First Nation
- Mackenzie Recreation Association
- Mine Training Society
- NWT Literacy Council
- NWT Recreation & Parks Association
- NWT Riders Association
- NWT Snowboard
- NWT Speed Skating
- NWT Tourism
- NWT Track & Field
- Osisko Metals
- Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre
- Rainbow Coalition
- Rio Tinto
- Sport North Federation
- Tibbitt-Contwoyto Winter Road Joint Venture
- Verge Communications
- Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce