RCMP have ‘new information’ in case of Spike, abused husky pup

Spike the husky puppy is shown in a photo published by the NWT SCPA after his initial admission to the shelter
Spike the husky puppy is shown in a photo published by the NWT SCPA after his initial admission to the shelter.

RCMP told Cabin Radio they have “new information” as they work on the case of Spike, a husky puppy who died at at Yellowknife’s Great Slave Animal Hospital this week.

Staff at the NWT SPCA, who initially received Spike, say he had been the victim of a “brutal attack” and his body could not recover from multiple pelvic fractures, head trauma, and severe bruising.

Spike, who was four months old, died on Monday – three weeks after his initial admission to the shelter.

In a Facebook post published at the time, shelter staff said people who had information were refusing to help police identify and arrest Spike’s abuser.



“There are no witnesses that will come forward and the people involved are not co-operating with authorities. There is no proof and no one will talk,” read the shelter’s update.

However, Cabin Radio has been in contact with police in Nunavut, Spike’s home territory, and can reveal the investigation into his death is continuing.

‘Information surfacing’

“We have been made aware of this incident [and] this file is still under investigation,” said a Nunavut RCMP spokesperson by email.

“We are still obtaining statements from a Taloyoak SPCA volunteer. The investigator has, and continues, to liaise with the Crown in determining the best way for the file to proceed.



“New information seems to be surfacing as the investigation moves forward.”

It is common practice for dogs from smaller northern communities to be sent down to the larger shelter in Yellowknife.

Residents of Yellowknife were appalled as they learned of Spike’s death through NWT SPCA Facebook updates.

“The people responsible do not deserve to be free,” wrote Rob Carey in response to our initial story. “And those that know something and are not talking are just as bad.”

The circumstances surrounding Spike’s death remain unclear and no charges have yet been laid. Nunavut RCMP say they will keep us updated as their work on the file progresses.

Correction: May 31, 1:17 PM – This article has been updated to reflect that Spike passed away at Great Slave Animal Hospital, not the NWT SPCA as we previously reported.