Support from northerners like you keeps our journalism alive. Sign up here.



YK cab driver robbery triggers pursuit, ‘dog interaction’

A file photo of the Yellowknife RCMP detachment. Sarah Pruys/Cabin Radio
A file photo of the Yellowknife RCMP detachment. Sarah Pruys/Cabin Radio

Two men face charges after a taxi driver was allegedly robbed in downtown Yellowknife on Wednesday morning – an incident which ultimately led to a pursuit actively involving police dogs.

Police said the Aurora Taxi driver was involved in an altercation with two people behind Grayling Manor, on 53 St, just after 7:30am.

“The suspects were seen fleeing the area, heading toward 52 Avenue,” police said in a statement on Wednesday evening.

“The cab driver was treated for minor injuries. No other persons were injured during the initial incident.”



Later that afternoon, RCMP identified men named Dean McNeely and Tevin McNeely as suspects.

At 4pm, police moved to arrest the two McNeelys – and a third person, who was not identified – in the city’s Woolgar and Byrne area.

Witnesses reported a heavy police presence including armed officers and police dogs. One resident told Cabin Radio children in the area had been told to get inside.

RCMP said the men tried to escape as the operation began and a chase ensued, ultimately ending in the suspects being detained.



“During the … location and arrest of the suspects, one person was injured in an interaction with the police service dog,” said RCMP, delicately. “He was taken to Stanton Territorial Hospital for treatment of what appeared to be non-life threatening injuries.”

No officers were injured, said police.

Driver safety

Dean McNeely, 32, is charged with robbery, while Tevin McNeely, 22, faces charges of robbery and failure to comply.

Both are due to appear in court on Thursday. The investigation continues.

An operator at Aurora Taxi said nobody at the organization was immediately available for comment.

Taxi driver safety has been a prominent issue in Yellowknife since the death of a City Cab employee, Ahmed Mahamud Ali, who was found unconscious in his cab outside Stanton Territorial Hospital in November.

Two men are accused of his murder.

A month later, dozens of City Cab and Aurora Taxi drivers took part in a procession through the city in memory of Ali, known as “Uncle Ahmed” to colleagues.

Drivers taking part in the procession expressed concern at their ability to remain safe while doing their jobs.