Do you rely on Cabin Radio? Help us keep our journalism available to everyone.

In statement, Gwich’in grand chief ‘strongly disputes’ allegations

Grand Chief Frederick Blake Jr. Photo: Gwich'in Tribal Council
Grand Chief Frederick Blake Jr. Photo: Gwich'in Tribal Council

Gwich’in Grand Chief Frederick Blake Jr denied allegations against him in a Friday evening statement after a court this week ruled aspects of an internal dispute should go to trial.

The Nihtat Gwich’in Council in Inuvik and Ehdiitat Gwich’in Council in Aklavik, along with the organization’s presidents Kelly McLeod and Michael Greenland, are pursuing a legal challenge against Blake and four other directors of the Gwich’in Tribal Council, or GTC.

McLeod and Greenland allege that since Grand Chief Blake took office, he and the four other board directors – Doris Koe, Diane Koe, Richard Nerysoo and Cindy McDonald – have engaged in oppressive conduct. They also allege Blake misappropriated GTC funds in an earlier dispute over his election as grand chief.

In a ruling on Thursday, NWT Supreme Court Justice Annie Piché granted the applicants’ request to have the matter proceed with a trial.

None of the allegations have been proven in court. A date for that trial has yet to be determined.

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

In his Friday statement, Blake wrote: “I strongly dispute the allegations that have been made against me and reject any suggestion that I have acted improperly.”

Blake said he would not address the specific allegations as the matter is before the court, but he stressed the procedural nature of the most recent ruling and said there had been “no definitive findings on the merits of the allegations.”

“As has always been the case, my focus remains where it belongs: carrying out the responsibilities that the Gwich’in Nation and Gwich’in Participants elected me to undertake, strengthening our communities, and advancing Gwich’in interests,” Blake stated.