A Yellowknife firefighter and an ENR helicopter tackle a brush fire near Range Lake. Laurissa Cebryk/Cabin Radio
The City of Yellowknife says a brush fire near Range Lake on Wednesday was started by a campfire left unattended.
In a news release on Thursday, the city said a “small creeping fire” was quickly attended to by firefighters with assistance from the NWT’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources in the form of a helicopter.
“Crews quickly prevented the fire from spreading and remained on scene until the fire was extinguished,” the city stated.
The crew was in attendance for about two hours, with no reported injuries.
“The city wishes to remind residents that all open-air burning requires a permit or an approved fire pit, in order to keep our community, our outdoor spaces, and ourselves safe and healthy,” City Hall stated.