Support from northerners like you keeps our journalism alive. Sign up here.

Advertisement.

GNWT rolls out second year of housing student scholarships

Tom Williams inspects rooms at the renovated Yellowknife emergency women's shelter
NWT Housing Corporation president Tom Williams inspects rooms at a Yellowknife emergency women's shelter in 2019. Ollie Williams/Cabin Radio

The GNWT is beginning the second year of a scholarship initiative designed to help develop housing solutions in the Northwest Territories.

Twelve $1,000 scholarships are being offered to students pursuing studies in disciplines like construction, carpentry and healthcare, to address housing affordability and quality.

Hay River resident Jada Beck, a recipient from the program’s first year and now a second-year medical student at Queen’s University, said: “As an Indigenous woman and future physician, I recognize that the housing crisis in the NWT poses a significant challenge to the health and well-being of our community members.”

In a GNWT press release, Beck said she wants housing to be a focus of her future work.

“I intend to raise awareness about the importance of housing stability as a social determinant of health while actively contributing to policy discussions to ensure the needs and voices of Indigenous communities are considered,” she was quoted as saying.

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

There are two categories of scholarship available.

One, for first-year post-secondary students, remembers the late former housing minister and advocate Alfred Moses. The other, named for the late NWT housing leader Tom Williams, is for students in their second year or later.

Applicants must write a short essay describing how their academic program can contribute to housing improvements for NWT residents. Applications close on June 6. The application form and more information can be found on Housing NWT’s website.