RCMP have brought in reinforcements from across the North and are telling Fort Smith residents to stay home as the search for an active shooter continues into Saturday afternoon.
Three people were hurt after shots were fired in the town just after 2am, police stated. A male suspect last seen in a grey sweater and armed with a gun is being sought.
RCMP described the suspect as “male with a heavy build, medium complexion, black hair with black facial hair.”

In a noon update, RCMP said they had brought in reinforcements including a major crimes unit, emergency response officers from elsewhere in the NWT and Yukon, a police dog unit and drones.
“At this time, the suspect remains at large and is believed to be armed,” RCMP stated.
The shelter in place order remains in effect, police added. The condition of those who were hurt was not clear.
Police have issued multiple images of the suspect. Anyone with photos or video was asked to send the files to police using an online link.
More: Ignore AI-manipulated suspect images, RCMP say
The town is in the middle of celebrating its annual Fireweed Festival, which had just concluded its first full day at the time of the incident.
Witnesses said the shooting occurred outside the Dirty O’Fergie’s bar, where two music stages were closing down for the night. Footage from the scene shows what appears to be bear spray discharged amid a loosely gathered crowd of 20 to 30 people, in a parking lot adjacent to the bar, before the sounds of shots are heard.
Festival on hold
Festival organizers said a “serious incident involving a firearm” occurred at the venue and several people had been injured.
“Our thoughts are with everyone who was injured, their families, and all those who witnessed or were affected by what happened tonight,” organizers stated.
“Emergency services and the RCMP responded, and this matter is now under police investigation.
“The safety of our community, our guests, artists, volunteers and festival team is our highest priority. We are working closely with the appropriate authorities and will provide further information about Fireweed Festival NT programming when we are able to do so responsibly.”
More: Devastated organizers await police word after shooting
Police said updates will be issued when more information is available.
The town’s health centre has ended its mass casualty protocol but remains on lockdown. Advice for Fort Smith residents needing healthcare is available on the NWT health authority’s website.
“My thoughts are with everyone impacted by the events following last night’s Fireweed Festival,” Fort Smith Mayor Dana Fergusson wrote in a Saturday morning statement.
“Right now, the most important thing we can do is stay calm, stay safe, and give our first responders and RCMP the space they need to do their jobs.
“Let’s look after one another, support the families affected, and give our community and our first responders the time and space they need. Fort Smith is strong, and we will get through this together.”
In a statement, Thebacha MLA and cabinet member Jay Macdonald, who represents Fort Smith, said the NWT government was “in close contact with the RCMP and local authorities as the situation continues to unfold.”
“I want to thank the RCMP, first responders and healthcare workers responding this morning, and everyone in the community for following emergency instructions and helping keep one another safe,” Macdonald stated.






