Organizers of Fort Smith’s Fireweed Festival say they will “continue as planned” after taking advice from RCMP following a shooting that wounded three people early on Saturday.
“We have been advised that there is no ongoing risk to the community associated with the festival, and we will continue to follow the guidance of the RCMP and those responsible for community safety,” read a statement issued after police lifted a shelter in place order on Saturday afternoon.
“Our thoughts remain first and foremost with the individuals and families affected by what happened. Their wellbeing matters deeply to us. Continuing with the festival does not diminish the seriousness of the incident, the impact it has had, or the emotions many in our community are carrying today.
“Like the fireweed flower – a symbol of resilience, renewal and strength after devastation – we will lift one another up, stand together and bloom again.”
Food trucks and arts vendors will be at Queen Elizabeth Territorial Park from 6-8pm on Saturday, the festival stated. Regularly scheduled programming resumes from 11am on Sunday.
Organizers had earlier expressed grief and dismay after the shooting and subsequent manhunt disrupted the community event.
Three people were injured in the shooting outside bar and festival venue Dirty O’Fergie’s at about 2am. Police ordered residents to shelter in place for more than half a day while a male suspect was sought, eventually allowing people out of their homes after 4pm, though whether the suspect had been apprehended was not clear.
Organizer Melissa Johns told Cabin Radio on Saturday morning she was “absolutely devastated” by the overnight events.
At the time, she said the shelter in place order and uncertainty meant no firm plan to resume events could be put in place.
“This is not a reflection of Fireweed Festival,” Johns said.
The Fireweed Festival is an annual celebration of the community of Fort Smith. This year’s event began on Thursday and was due to run until Sunday evening, with most events happening at downtown venues or Queen Elizabeth Territorial Park.
Johns, speaking initially through tears just after a second RCMP emergency alert arrived on residents’ phones, expressed her distress at the impact of the shooting on the festival and the town.
She thanked visitors who had arrived from as far as Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray and Yellowknife, and the small team that she said had worked 18-hour days to organize the event.
But in the circumstances, she added, there was no way the festival could safely open the park for families until police had a firm update on the operation to find the shooter.
“This is so insane,” Johns said.





