Advertisement.

Yellowknife

No explosive device found at YK school after afternoon evacuation

Last modified: March 9, 2022 at 4:49pm

RCMP say no explosive device was found at Yellowknife’s Weledeh Catholic School following a bomb threat on Wednesday afternoon.

Police said they were contacted by staff from Weledeh around 12:30pm about a bomb threat.

Students at École St Patrick High School and Weledeh Catholic School were evacuated and classes were cancelled for the afternoon as officers and police dogs searched and secured the building.

Advertisement.

Police said there is currently no threat to other schools. An investigation to find the source and motivation of the threat is ongoing.

This is the second time in a month the schools have been evacuated. On February 10, students were evacuated following a bomb threat that resulted in classes being cancelled for the day.

In that incident, RCMP also said no explosive device was found after a thorough search of the building and surrounding property.

It is currently unknown if the two incidents are connected.

Advertisement.

Simone Gessler, Yellowknife Catholic Schools superintendent, said in an email sent shortly after 1pm that students from both schools had been sent to the gym at Sir John Franklin High School where guardians could pick up their child. Gessler advised guardians to check in with their child’s teacher before leaving.

At 1:10pm, there were three police vehicles outside the schools and students were seen headed toward Sir John Franklin High School.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Yellowknife RCMP detachment at 867-669-1111 or to contact Crime Stoppers.

Advertisement.