Do you rely on Cabin Radio? Help us keep our journalism available to everyone.

Fort Smith told to shelter in place after shooting at festival

A file photo of Fort Smith's RCMP detachment
Fort Smith's RCMP detachment. Sarah Pruys/Cabin Radio

RCMP in Fort Smith told residents to shelter in place in the early hours of Saturday, reporting an active shooter in the town.

In an alert issued to people in the community just before 3am, police said a male suspect was “wearing a grey sweater and armed with a gun.”

“Shelter in place and lock your doors,” the alert stated, urging people not to disclose police locations.

The town is in the middle of celebrating its annual Fireweed Festival, which had just concluded its first full day.

Witnesses said the shooting occurred at around 2am outside the Dirty O’Fergie’s bar, where two music stages were closing down for the night.

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

Festival organizers said a “serious incident involving a firearm” occurred at the venue and several people had been injured.

“Our thoughts are with everyone who was injured, their families, and all those who witnessed or were affected by what happened tonight,” organizers stated.

“Emergency services and the RCMP responded, and this matter is now under police investigation.

“The safety of our community, our guests, artists, volunteers and festival team is our highest priority. We are working closely with the appropriate authorities and will provide further information about Fireweed Festival NT programming when we are able to do so responsibly.”

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

In a statement just after 3:30am, RCMP said the search for an armed male suspect was ongoing.

“Please stay in your residences and do not open the door for anyone,” that statement read.

“Follow all directions from responding officers. Refrain from posting photos of responding officers on social media.”

Police said an update would be issued when more information is available.

More follows.