Do you rely on Cabin Radio? Help us keep our journalism available to everyone.

Police lift Fort Smith shelter in place order after shooting

Police officers at the scene of Saturday's shooting outside the Dirty O'Fergie's bar. Ollie Williams/Cabin Radio
Police officers at the scene of Saturday's shooting outside the Dirty O'Fergie's bar. Ollie Williams/Cabin Radio

RCMP have lifted a shelter in place order for Fort Smith, more than half a day after a shooting wounded three people. While two arrests were made, it’s not clear if the suspect was apprehended.

The three were hurt after shots were fired just after 2am outside a Fireweed Festival venue in the town’s central area. Police spent most of Saturday attempting to find a male suspect last seen in a grey sweater and armed with a gun.

“Police believe it is safe at this time to allow residents to resume normal activities. The RCMP has reasonable grounds to believe that this was a targeted attack and that there is no direct threat to the community,” read a 4:20pm statement from RCMP.

A police spokesperson later said two people had been arrested, but they were described only as “persons of interest” and not positively identified as the suspect.

“It is too early in the investigation to say if they are linked to the incident or not,” the spokesperson said.

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

An RCMP handout image of a man described by police as a suspect in Fort Smith's shooting incident.
An RCMP handout image of a man described by police as a suspect in Fort Smith’s shooting incident.
An RCMP handout image of a man described by police as a suspect in Fort Smith's shooting incident.
A second RCMP handout image of the suspect.

RCMP described the suspect as “male with a heavy build, medium complexion, black hair with black facial hair.”

Police reinforcements that arrived earlier in the day included a major crimes unit, emergency response officers from elsewhere in the NWT and Yukon, a police dog unit and drones.

The condition of those who were hurt is not clear.

“Residents can expect to see an increased police presence in the community as the investigation is continuing,” RCMP stated in their late Saturday afternoon update.

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

Police have issued multiple images of the suspect. Anyone with photos or video was asked to send the files to police using an online link.

More: Ignore AI-manipulated suspect images, RCMP say

The town is in the middle of celebrating its annual Fireweed Festival, which had just concluded its first full day at the time of the incident.

Witnesses said the shooting occurred outside the Dirty O’Fergie’s bar, where two music stages were closing down for the night. Footage from the scene shows what appears to be bear spray discharged amid a loosely gathered crowd of 20 to 30 people, in a parking lot adjacent to the bar, before the sounds of shots are heard.

Festival to resume

Early on Saturday, festival organizers said a “serious incident involving a firearm” occurred at the venue.

“Our thoughts are with everyone who was injured, their families, and all those who witnessed or were affected by what happened tonight,” organizers stated.

“Emergency services and the RCMP responded, and this matter is now under police investigation.

“The safety of our community, our guests, artists, volunteers and festival team is our highest priority. We are working closely with the appropriate authorities and will provide further information about Fireweed Festival NT programming when we are able to do so responsibly.”

Advertisement.

Advertisement.

After the shelter in place order lifted, festival organizers said events would resume.

More: Festival to continue, organizers say

“My thoughts are with everyone impacted by the events following last night’s Fireweed Festival,” Fort Smith Mayor Dana Fergusson wrote in a Saturday morning statement.

“Right now, the most important thing we can do is stay calm, stay safe, and give our first responders and RCMP the space they need to do their jobs.

“Let’s look after one another, support the families affected, and give our community and our first responders the time and space they need. Fort Smith is strong, and we will get through this together.”

In a statement, Thebacha MLA and cabinet member Jay Macdonald, who represents Fort Smith, said the NWT government was “in close contact with the RCMP and local authorities as the situation continues to unfold.”

“I want to thank the RCMP, first responders and healthcare workers responding this morning, and everyone in the community for following emergency instructions and helping keep one another safe,” Macdonald stated.

The territory’s health authority said virtual counselling sessions, by phone or video, are being made available on Sunday afternoon to help affected residents.

Call 867-688-7883 to reach mental health supports from 12-4pm on Sunday.